Predictive Engineering Analytics is a must in current product design and is required to integrate all the multi disciplinary inputs present in today’s complicated products. In the words of Siemens:
“Predictive Engineering Analytics (PEA) is the application of multi-discipline simulation and test, combined with intelligent reporting and data analytics, to develop digital twins that can predict the behavior of products across all performance attributes, throughout the product lifecycle.”
In the above quote, the concept of a digital twin is important; this is the goal of having a complete digital representation of a physical product throughout its design, manufacturing and in-service lifecycle. Such a digital twin can accurately predict all behaviors of the physical product.
There are five key ways that Simcenter(TM) helps achieve a digital twin.
- Simcenter(TM) has an integrated Engineering Desktop environment, which allows all pre- and post-processing operations to be carried out. This environment has best-in-class geometry editing tools, comprehensive meshing, and an ability to associate the analysis model to design data.
- The environment is completely extendable and can be scaled from simple to complex problems. The benefits include a common user interface and the capability to create automated routines for common simulation problems.
- Simcenter(TM) can be linked into other integrated products and engineering systems. This enables simulation data management and allows links to be established to test data, 1D simulations, and 3D CAD. Engineers now have confidence that the behaviors predicted by the digital twin correlate with real life.
- The solution produces a common environment across all engineering departments. This allows knowledge to be captured, automated, and then used by a broader team. Specific solutions and best practices become entrenched in the organization, allowing for more consistent design processes. Training requirements are also reduced.
- Simcenter(TM) leverages the extensive industry knowledge and capabilities of the Siemens PLM broader portfolio.
If we look at the specific functions that Simcenter(TM) can cover, here is a quote and graphic from a Siemens presentation:
Another unique feature of the Simcenter(TM) solution is its open platform capability. The solution can be used as the primary pre- and postprocessor for Siemens PLM Solvers, NX Nastran and LMS Samcef, or for popular third party solvers, such as Abaqus, ANSYS, LS-DYNA, and MSC Nastran. This is illustrated in another graphic from a Siemens presentation:
An exciting capability of the solution is the ability to edit geometry from any CAD system on the fly within the common environment. This is powered by Siemens PLM synchronous technology. Analysts can edit geometry in intuitive ways that are not currently possible and create what-if alternatives or de-feature complex models for analysis.
Because of the associative nature of the data in the environment, updates to a source will automatically be propagated to all related objects. For example, updates to geometrical features will adjust the associated mesh, allowing for fast iterations and maximum productivity.
Simcenter(TM) represents a significant innovation in the field of simulation and analysis. The technology is both exciting and advanced, allowing customers and users greatly enhanced simulation capability. The dream of fully digital product design is almost here!
We recently presented on Simcenter’s 3D capabilities in particular. If you would like to learn more, watch the presentation on demand by clicking here. Leave a comment if you have any questions or additional thoughts.