Anyone who has dealt with Bill of Materials (BOM) knows about the challenges and complexities involved with it. Sometimes we get asked, managing a single BOM itself is cumbersome, then why do we even need another one in the form of a Manufacturing Bill of Material (mBOM)..?
What we have seen with our customers is that, when there is only one BOM then it is usually owned by the engineering department (CAD BOM/ eBOM) and will be available for the Manufacturing Department as a “read only”. This is not good enough for the manufacturing teams as they need to author and add data specific to manufacturing , for example manufacturing specific consumable parts like glue, oil or Tool Fixtures and such. Another key factor is how the BOM is structured; typically eBOM is structured around organization systems and functions and represent the product architecture, but for manufacturing team a mBOM needs to be organized according to the manufacturing assembly order.
When customers need to work towards the industry 4.0 goal, they need to have smarter manufacturing solutions and systems that provide more ways to capture the manufacturing business intelligence and then suggest solutions based on the previous patterns. With this in mind they need to invest in manufacturing BOM authoring and management area. During a mBOM adoption, the key is not to recreate the data that’s already in eBOM, but to reuse the eBOM and add additional information specific to manufacturing. That way there is both reuse and traceability of the data.
At a high level mBOM creation automation solutions exist in multiple flavors
- Recipe based mBOM: In a recipe based mBOM, customers can initiate the mBOM creation via pre-configured templates pointing to eBOM. Based on the recipe stored with the template it will automatically fetch the engineering parts into mBOM. This kind of solution helps customers who have heavy standardization in their product offerings.
- Reusable Manufacturing Assembly: In such a solution, customers can leverage the same manufacturing assembly across multiple product lines to reduce the design, development and procurement costs
- New Offline Processing Solutions: This approach is to tailor the mBOM creation process and application to the customer need using customization. This standardizes and automates the process to capture the business intelligence and its reuse via customization.
- Smarter Validations: Such solutions suggests what’s next to the business users, that way users spends less time discovering the problem and more time solving it.
Over all value of such solutions is not just the flexibility it offers the manufacturing team, it also reduces manufacturing process planning and execution lead time with improved structure accuracy and significant reduction in change reconciliation processing time.
Prior to joining Tata he played multiple roles in the area of PLM implementation and sustainment for Aviation, Transportation, Energy and Oil & Gas divisions of one of the world’s largest Engineering conglomerate company. He has a Master of Engineering degree in Product Design & Commerce along with a bachelor degree in Mechanical engineering. He also has various industry trainings and certifications including Six Sigma Green belt from GE Aircraft Engines.
Latest posts by Pradeep Peter (see all)
- Active Workspace 3.4Schedule Manager Improvements - October 11, 2018
- Reach More with Teamcenter Active Workspace - September 27, 2018
- Teamcenter Solution to the Engineering and Manufacturing Disconnect - September 6, 2018