ORTEMS is a technology available from Dassault Systemes that coordinates and controls production planning and scheduling in a manufacturing process. It is part of the DELMIA suite of Products.
ORTEMS addresses the following business challenges:
- Fully anticipate new product introduction impact and the ability to deliver to forecasts
- Improves on-time, in-full delivery while reducing finished product inventory
- Compresses manufacturing cycle times while managing increased demand complexity and variability
- Reduces or eliminates premium freight costs, reduces penalties and protects margins
- Synchronizes the delivery of materials and tools to the right place at the right time for all orders
- Maximizes utilization of expensive capital assets and increases Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE)
ORTEMS consists of three major components as shown in the graphic below:
Synchronized Resource Planner
This component of ORTEMS is a necessary prerequisite for the Manufacturing Planning and Production Scheduler parts. At a high level, any scheduling or planning requires two bits of information – The BOM and routings. Resource Planner performs the necessary tasks of synchronizing this information from an ERP system and enriches this information to define how the product is manufactured utilizing the production resources.
The Scheduler performs finite capacity scheduling of production and produces a plan that is short term in nature. It specifies exactly what must be, when it must be made and by which resource. Scheduler simultaneously manages multiple constraints such as Machines, Labor, Inventories, Purchases, Material flow synchronization, Set-up time, Tooling, Space and Storage and produces a best case scenario for production.
Manufacturing planning performs finite capacity planning of production that produces a plan that is longer term in nature. It examines the question of resource capacity and whether or not current capacity is capable of producing the required production. Planner takes into consideration the same constraints as scheduler and can be used to run what-if scenarios to determine optimum solutions. An example of a what-if scenario would be the introduction of overtime into a factory.
The main benefits of using DELMIA ORTEMS are as follows:
- Reduction in Stock. This benefit applies to both work in progress inventory and finished goods inventory
- Productivity Increase. Machine capacity utilization is increased and workforce productivity is improved by reducing idle times
- Better Responsiveness. By allowing proactive responses to fluctuations and unforeseen changes, customer expectations can be better managed
DELMIA ORTEMS is a vital tool for any organization that needs to optimize manufacturing production.
For further information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest posts by Kevin Power (see all)
- CATIA Mold and Tool Design - May 21, 2020
- Teamcenter as a business platform – leverage enterprise collaboration - April 30, 2020
- PLM and C19 – Quo Vadis? - April 16, 2020