So many welds, so little time… and that’s how long it takes to create them using NX Weld Assistant… very little time.
In addition to the weld types shown in the image above, you have the option to create custom weld types giving you the ability to model any type of weld possible.
One type of custom weld is an extension weld. This type of weld is started and stopped beyond the limits of the parts being welded as seen in the image below.
To create this weld, we will simply create a line weld in the usual way (see image below) and then use synchronous modeling + move face to grab and extend the face that makes up each end of the weld.
Key benefits to modeling welds in Cad include:
- Provides a key piece of information necessary for a complete Digital Twin.
- Mass properties inclusion (Weight and Volume).
- Easy to visualize.
- Easy to validate for correct location using Weld Advisor.
- Easy to convey information via a Drawing or PMI
- Available for inclusion into CAE analysis
- Available for process planning
- Available for robot programming
- Significant time savings compared to manual application of welds
- Having the ability to create and validate the welds in CAD ensures quality data is being sent to manufacturing thereby reducing the amount of rework.