From solver perspective, number of enhancements have been made but as additive manufacturing is gaining popularity these days, let’s start with what’s new is available at AM front.
Additive manufacturing functionality enhancement
- Until past release, number of basic AM simulation features were not a part of main solver and required specific configuration to access. Starting 2018x all AM is in FD05 and in 2019x all AM is in GA.
- Eigen strain has been added as an input/output in AM that can be accesses using existing subroutine UEPACTIVATIONVOL that now has eigenstrain as an argument. The material orientations can be defined as well as modified. As eigen strain is treated as instantaneous load, it can cause convergence problem. In such cases, eigen strain can be applied as a ramp input.
- The conventional displacement of nodal output includes displacement prior to activation as well. New output variables UACT and URACT contain translational and rotational displacement only after activation.
- Improved convergence of heat transfer analysis when linear elements are used with temperature dependent material properties.
- The event series data is no longer limited to 53 million events. It has now been extended to 420 million events. Available from 2019xGA.
- Property and parameter tables now available for Abaqus explicit as well starting 2019xFD01. Earlier this functionality was limited to standard only.
- Number of heat energy outputs have been added for non-uniform moving flux. These are element internal heat energy called as EHUMDFLUX and element internal heat energy density called as EHUMDFLUXDEN. Both field and history outputs are available.
- 2D and axisymmetric elements are not available that support *FILM parameter as well for convective heat transfer.
This blog is a part of series “what’s new in SIMULIA 2019”. Please follow our blog site regularly for next blog article on this topic.